Doctor of Philosophy in English, 2013 – Duke University
“Black Sacred Breath: Historicity, Performance and the Aesthetics of BlackPentecostalism”
Master of Arts in English, 2011 – Duke University
Master of Theological Studies, 2007, Candler School of Theology – Emory University
Masters of Theological Studies Thesis
“Terrifying Journeys, Traumatic Boundaries: Queer(ed) Black Bodies and the Christian Crisis”
Bachelor of Arts with Distinction, 2003, University of Pennsylvania
WRITING and PUBLICATIONS
- “Breathing Flesh and the Sound of BlackPentecostalism.” Journal of Theology and Sexuality (Accepted with Revisions, 2013).
- “Harriet Jacobs Gets a Hearing.” Current Musicology, (In Print, 2013).
- “Pentecostal Song, Sound, and Authentic Voices.” Sounding Out: The Sound Studies Blog, (July 25, 2011): http://bit.ly/pJzRsd
- “Feel the Noise: Sound, Music & Technology.” Humanities, Arts, Science and Technology Advanced Collaboratory (HASTAC), (November 6, 2010): http://bit.ly/9x7yi9
- “Can you be BLACK and work here? Social Justice Activist Organizing and BLACK Aurality.” Souls: A Critical Journal of Black Politics, Culture and Society 11:2 (2009), 186-201.
- “Let’s Get It On! Performance Theory and Black Pentecostalism.” Black Theology: An International Journal vol 6, no. 3 (2008): 308-29.
- “Circum-Religious Performance: Queer(Ed) Black Bodies and the Black Church.” Journal of Theology and Sexuality 14, no. 2 (2008): 171-92.
- “Can You Be BLACK and Work Here?” Black Gender and Sexuality: A Reader ed. McGlotten, Shaka and Davis, Dana Ain. Palgrave MacMillan (2013).
- “Blackqueer Aesthesis: Sexuality and the Rumor and Gossip of Black Gospel Sound.” Race and Displacement ed. Marouan, Maha and Simmons, Merinda. The University of Alabama Press (2013).
- Wilcox, Melissa. Coming Out in Christianity: Religion, Identity & Community. Bloomington, In.: Indiana University Press 2003 Reviewed by Ashon T. Crawley and Alton B. Pollard, III in Pneuma: The Journal for the Society for Pentecostal Studies, Vol 29:1(Spring 2007).
- “Breathing Towards Lynching Critique: Whooping in Black Pentecostal Praying and Preaching,” American Studies Association annual meeting: San Juan, PR (November 2012)
- “The Ciprieré and the Saints: Pentecostal Intentionality and the Sound of Marronage,” American Folklore Society annual meeting: New Orleans, LA (October 2012)
- “Harriet Jacobs’s Crawlspace and the Black Praise House,” Society of Early Americanists, “Triumph in My Song: 18th & 19th Century African Atlantic Culture, History, & Performance”: College Park, MD (June 2012).
- “Sauts and Shouts: The Choreographic Itinerary and Protocol,” Nineteenth Century Americanists annual meeting: Berkeley, CA (April 2012).
- “Between Speech and Script: Glossolalia, Glossographia and the Black Pentecostal Imagination,” American Comparative Literature Association annual meeting: Providence, RI (March 2012).
- “Breathing: On the Queerness of Song and Dance in ‘Let the Church Say Amen,’” Society for Pentecostal Studies annual meeting: Virginia Beach, VA (February 2012).
- “Arthur, Crunch and the Sound of Blackness,” American Studies Association, “Performative Black Christianity and the Logics of Religious Representation”: Baltimore, MD (October 2011).
- “Black Pentecostalism and the Notion of an Authentic Voice,” Franklin Humanities Institute at Duke University, “Sights and Sound Theater”: Durham, NC (February 2011).
- “He gay…: Rumor, Gossip and the Black Gospel Sound,” University of Alabama, “Race and Displacement Forum”: Tuscaloosa, AL, (October 2009).
- “‘It Don’t Take All That!’: Black Pentecostalism, Queer(ed)ness and the Aesthetics of Excess,” Northwestern University’s Center for Global Culture and Communication Summer Seminar, “Performance and Excess”: Chicago, IL, (June 2007).
- “Circum-Religious Performances: Journeys of Queer(ed) Black Bodies,” The Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies in Religion and Ministry’s Souls a’Fire 3 Meeting: Philadelphia, PA (April 2007).
- “Let’s Get It On: Performance Theory and Black Pentecostalism,” Society for Pentecostal Studies Annual Meeting: Cleveland, TN, (March 2007).